President Asif Ali Zardari held a meeting with Balochistan Chief Minister Sarfraz Bugti on Wednesday and expressed the resolve to foil terrorists’ attempts of hindering development in the province.
“Attempts by foreign-backed terrorists to hinder development in Balochistan will be foiled at all costs. The day is not far when terrorism will be eradicated from Balochistan,” he said, according to a statement released by the Presidency after the meeting.
The meeting was held at Aiwan-i-Sadr in Islamabad, the statement said, adding that CM Bugti briefed the president on the overall situation in Balochistan and steps being taken for development.
On this, President Zardari noted that effective coordination between the federal and provincial governments was necessary for peace, progress and public welfare in Balochistan, according to the statement.
“Pakistan’s largest province in terms of area deserves special attention and resources,” the statement further quoted him as saying. “
Faryal Talpur, the president of PPP’s women’s wing, and Mir Ali Hassan Zehri, a former provincial minister from Balochistan, were also present during the meeting, according to the Presidency’s statement.
The meeting took place against the backdrop of near-constant terrorist activity and lawlessness in Balochistan, including attacks on infrastructure.
A week before the meeting, a main gas pipeline in Kacchi district’s Bolan was blown up by unidentified attackers, following which supply to several towns and cities was suspended.
Similarly, two 220kV high-voltage transmission pylons were blown up and as many were partially damaged near the Uch Power Plant in Dera Murad Jamali on July 13. The attack by unidentified armed men had disrupted electricity supply to Quetta, Sibi, and several other parts of Balochistan.
Meanwhile, security forces have been conducting operations against terrorists in the province.
In the latest action, they killed nine terrorists during intelligence-based operations (IBO) in the Ziarat, Harnai and Surab areas of Balochistan.
On Monday, two terrorists were killed and three others were injured in an IBO in the Killi Zaik area of Balochistan, and seven were killed in an IBO in Kharan’s Lajay area on Sunday.
On Saturday, security forces killed 10 terrorists and injured many others in an IBO in the Shor Pard area of Balochistan’s Khuzdar district.
That followed the killing of at least 18 terrorists in Surab, including eight in a premature detonation, according to the military’s media affairs wing.
According to the Pakistan Institute for Conflict and Security Studies’ (PICSS) monthly security assessment released on July 31, the security situation deteriorated most significantly in Balochistan in the country last month.
The overall death toll increased by 241 per cent in Balochistan, from 109 in June to 372 in July, the report said.
Security personnel deaths in Balochistan increased from six in June to 62 in July, representing a rise of 933pc. Terrorist deaths rose from 75 to 238, while civilian deaths increased by 93pc, from 28 to 54. Eighteen members of peace committees were also killed in the province.

Leave a Reply