The government on Saturday signalled its willingness to issue a ‘red warrant’ for General (retd) Pervez Musharraf and bring him back to Pakistan to record his statement under Section 342 of the CrPC in a treason case.
On the direction of the Special Court, the chief prosecutor in the case, Akram Sheikh, on Saturday submitted a statement, indicating the issuance of a ‘red warrant’ for Musharraf to ensure his presence in the treason case.
As an alternative, the statement also suggested the recording of Musharraf’s statement through video link/Skype in the interest of justice under section 342.
A three-judge bench of Special Court, headed by Chief Justice of the Peshawar High Court Mazhar Alam Khan Miankhel, wanted to know why Musharraf was allowed to leave despite the existence of a summons for the accused.
He also asked all parties concerned to file their statements in this regard.
The prosecutor in his statement, filed on December 25 last year, said that he had written to the then secretary for the interior ministry to place Musharraf’s name on the ECL. According to him, the FIA’s investigation team had submitted its challan on November 16, 2013.
“The inquiry team apprehended that due to lack of evidence in support of his defence, General Musharraf may attempt to leave the country. Hence, an inquiry team promptly moved the interior ministry to place his name on the ECL.”
The statement said that the prosecution team kept on regularly informing the federal government, which is complainant in the case, adding that an interior ministry official was present on all dates, including March 8 this year when the Special Court summoned Musharraf for recording his statement.