ANKARA: A car bomb ripped through a busy square in central Ankara Sunday, killing at least 27 people and wounding 75, officials said, the latest in a spate of attacks to hit Turkey.
Ambulances rushed to the scene on Kizilay square, a key commercial and transport hub close to the city’s embassy area, where the blast reduced several vehicles including a bus to burnt-out wrecks.
The attack comes just weeks after the city was hit by a suicide car bombing on February 17 targeting the military that killed 29 people, claimed by a dissident faction of the oulawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK).
The provincial governor’s office said there were 27 dead and 75 wounded in Sunday’s attack.
“The blast was caused by a vehicle packed with explosives close to Kizilay square,” an official statement said.
Medical sources told AFP the wounded had been taken to 10 different hospitals around the city, with a dozen said to be in a very serious condition.
Turkey has been hit by a spate of deadly attacks since the middle of last year, most of them blamed on the Islamic State (IS) group, including a double suicide bombing in Ankara in October that left 103 people dead.
Coming so soon after the February bombing, Sunday’s attack will raise fresh questions about Turkey’s ability to manage the twin security threat posed by IS and Kurdish rebels, as Ankara presses the European Union to speed up its membership process in return for help with the migrant crisis.